Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Roc's Nest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

No more slot machines
Sui-kun
Posted: Feb 5 2010, 04:11 PM

Scribe of the Roc

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 40

They've announced that non-Japan versions of the Heart Gold and Soul Silver games will replace the slot machines with a voltorb mini-game. I can't be too certain, but I think this is the first conventional Pokemon game without slot machines.

I know why they did it, but I still don't like it. Damn them. That settles it. I'm importing.
windseer1986
Posted: Feb 8 2010, 06:33 PM

windseer1986 of the Roc

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 116

I hated those damn slot machines. Always ran the elite 4 with amulet coin to level grind and just bought the coins.
I'm pretty excited for HG. I recently found my copy of gold and played it up to the elite 4...I'm not as good as I used to be I guess because Will kicked my ass.
Sui-kun
Posted: Feb 8 2010, 07:45 PM

Scribe of the Roc

Lol, Marlin doesn't like them either.

I always buy my coins too, but how I get my coins is not my issue. I just like an original, un-altered game. I don't like to see the Japanese games get something that the localized games don't.

That, and I actually do find the slot machines fun to play every once in a while...
windseer1986
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 07:47 PM

windseer1986 of the Roc

ok you were right. The voltorb game is the stupidest thing I have ever played. You can win like 3 coins at a time with a huge chance of losing them. And the prizes still cost thousands.
Sui-kun
Posted: Mar 18 2010, 06:02 PM

Scribe of the Roc

Okay, I've spent more time with the Voltorb game. I would say that it is so infuriatingly unfair that it completely obliterated my experience with the game, but I'm better than that.

The game is obviously "educational" laugh.gif and meant to make the gamer use his head rather than watch reels spin. It is difficult, and you need a lot of luck and patience to win. But it is easier than the reels. (I think) Playing the Voltorb game for a few hours, I've racked up about 600 coins and am aiming for the Dratini.

The absolute worst part of it is... that it's the only way to get coins. I'm seeing Dratini go for 2000 coins, and Ice Beam TM and Thunderbolt TM go for 9000 and 10000. This wouldn't be so bad if you had the opportunity to purchase coins like in all the preceding PKMN games. But you can't. Not this time, because there is no NPC who sells them. This time, you have to labor through the crap. What a total cop-out.

Not to mention that the inside of the Game Corner looks nothing like it should. There's pink drapes all over the place. I wonder what the Japanese Game Corner looks like. notrust.gif
windseer1986
Posted: Mar 22 2010, 05:24 PM

windseer1986 of the Roc

I have learned the ways of the voltorb game, for those who just have to have dratini or one of the tms. its basically process of elimination with a little luck. First flip all rows with 0 voltorb, then mark all rows where the point total+ voltorb total adds up to 5 as either a 1 or a voltorb. From there you can usually figure out which tiles have to be a 1 or voltorb and which ones you actually want to flip. It still takes a while to get the coins, but its at least doable. I generally can get up to round 5 without losing much.
Sui-kun
Posted: Mar 22 2010, 07:59 PM

Scribe of the Roc

Oh, you're Godly. I can get to level 3, but I can't complete it. You must have an awful lot of luck.
windseer1986
Posted: Mar 23 2010, 03:39 PM

windseer1986 of the Roc

I managed to get to level 6 once now. Of course any time I have to leave it up to luck and just guess I get a voltorb first pick. 5k coins...oh how I want that ice beam =(
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Pokémon | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.6734 seconds | Archive